Monday, December 15, 2008

Your Help is Needed

Last week as I went into the post office I witnessed something, I had never seen before.

A man was half way in the garbage can. After he came out of it he began to eat half of a sandwich he had found. My daughter and I looked and wonder how could this happen in America.

Jalisa, my daughter, reached in the back seat and gave me some food to share with him. I later thought about the food I left out overnight, the leftovers we threw away, the $102.00 for football tickets plus food and travel and so many others experiences. I realize that God has truly blessed my family and to those who have received much, much is required.

We, as Mississippi United Methodists, have been highly favored by God. I ask you as a part of that blessed community to join me in supporting the struggling community at Africa University. Most of the African American churches apportionment for Africa University is less than twenty dollars. Middlebrook UMC, where I serve as pastor, is a small membership church but we have given our thirty-six dollars to Africa University. The third verse of the African American national anthem is,”..., may we forever stand, true to our God, true to our native land.”

This Christmas let us give a gift in our apportionments to our, native land.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This statement is true. In America we waste much and the need for many is great.
Many need to reflect on this and assist Africa and those in eaches backyard as well.
I am proud of the present work many are doing to address this situation as it worsens across the globe. All must understand this and continue to share the gifts we have all been blessed by.