Monday, November 24, 2008

Every Home is a School

This sign is displayed outside a church that I pass each day on the way home. Everyday my mind gets to racing…I wonder what my children would say is taught in our homes….I wonder what I taught today as we hurriedly readied ourselves for school and work….I wonder what my children are understanding about our teachings on love, responsibility and grace…I wonder what I might be teaching my children and my husband about my faith in God?

How are we, as leaders in the church, equipping our parents, grandparents and caregivers to be the best teachers they can be in their “homeschools?” There are numerous resources available to assist family “teachers” in their efforts.

Here are some curriculum resources to assist you in your efforts:

Conversations for Life: Talking with Your Child
Conversations for Life: Talking with Your Teenager
Created by God - a curriculum about human sexuality

Some books I would recommend:
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families by Stephen Covey
Children and Prayer by Betty Shannon Cloyd
Raising Great Kids by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend
Hand in Hand: Growing Spiritually with Our Children by Sue Downing

Some workshops that I can offer in your district, cluster or local church:

Parenting in the Pew – Designed for parents and worship leaders, this workshop will explore the ways we can best engage, encourage and assist children in their experiences of church and worship.

The 5 Love Languages of Children – Based on the book by Drs. Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell, this workshop will offer parents insight and understanding into the ways their child best expresses and receives love. Together, parents will discover how to express unconditional feelings of respect, affection, and commitment that will encourage and strengthen their family for the rest of their lives. This workshop has also been adapted into a session offered to leaders who work with children and youth in order to improve the ways that we communicate, discipline and engage with one another.

No comments: